Feature image from IGNITELIGHT
1. There is no single ‘way’ to make your blog work. Distrust anyone who tries to sell you precise blogging dogma. While there are proven habits to help make your blog successful, many bloggers have made their blogs work using a number of different methods.
And there are always exceptions to every rule. Some people might recommend you make money from advertising while the successful blog ZEN HABITS swear by an advertisement free space.
2. The people who blog about the same topic as you are your friends not your competition. Like minded blogs can help each other in many ways. Enter the blogging community with caution and care – Don’t trash the joint when you come in.
Similar blogs have similar audiences that can be shared without being stolen. When you begin a blog on travel for instance, make friends with other travel writers and reach out when they write about something you are interested in.
Share more content than you write, and support those in your community.
3. Not every idea is a good one – But you won’t know until you try it out. Even good ideas can turn out to be wrong for you in a few months time.
4. It should hurt to hit publish. Otherwise, push yourself until you are not even sure you should be posting it – Then do it! Lazy bloggers make lazy blogs. I have a few posts that still make me think, ‘Should I take those down?’ These posts are my most controversial or honest, and my most popular.
5. Blogging is hard. Blogging takes more time than you realise, requires dedication, persistence and tends to happen late at night. Progress on your blog will normally happen right at the moment you are considering giving up.
6. Don’t push to gain the wrong readers. When it comes to building a blogging audience, aim for the right readers, even if it means your audience grows slowly. Numbers don’t matter if they are the wrong readers for you.
7. Don’t talk about yourself all the time. Talk about what you can offer others. Don’t be crazy and rant unless you have the answer underneath.